Frequently Asked Questions

Some of the most common faqs relating to what trailer weights you can tow with your car, the B+E driving licence category, the training and trailer towing test.

This depends on when you passed your practical car driving test.  If you passed your car test on or before 31st December 1996, you already have the B+E (car & trailer) category on your driving licence and can tow large trailers / caravans.  Don't forget to stay within the limits of your car's towing capacity. 

If you passed your car test on or after 1st January 1997, you can drive vehicles up to 3,500kgs MAM (with up to 8 passenger seats) with a trailer up to 750kgs OR tow trailers heavier than 750kgs as long as the total plated MAM figures of the vehicle and trailer added together isn’t more than 3,500kgs.  If you exceed these limits, you will need to pass the B+E test first.  The vehicle's own towing limits must also be adhered to (under Construction & Use Regulations).  

If you passed your B+E trailer test before 19th January 2013, there is no specified weight limit of the trailer you can tow on your licence but you must still adhere to your vehicle's own towing capacity limits (Construction & Use Regulations apply here).  The wording "the weight of the trailer must not exceed the unladen weight of the vehicle" was also removed around January 2013 as it had no legal merit but was, and still is, good practice to follow.

If you passed your B+E trailer test on or after 19th January 2013, The B+E category driving licence limits are a trailer with a maximum plated MAM weight of 3500kgs and an overall maximum gross train weight (car & trailer combined) limit of 7000kgs.  In reality, these limits won't affect most people as even the best in class towing vehicles (such as a Range Rover) have a towing capacity limit of 3500kgs. 

We use Kent's only two public DVSA test centres that conduct the B+E test - Gillingham and Herne Bay.  Only DVSA LGV test centres can accommodate the B+E car & trailer test due to the space required for the reversing exercise which is almost the same as on the LGV test.

Currently no, despite recent changes relating to other vocational categories.  To obtain full manual transmission type entitlement for B+E, you must pass the B+E towing test in a manual vehicle.

No, unlike other higher vocational categories (LGV, PCV etc), there is only a practical driving test for the B+E category.  However, you must be able to meet the minimum eyesight requirements : - read a number plate from a distance of 20.5m (new style plate) or 20m (old style plate).  This check will be carried out at the beginning of your training and by the examiner on your test.

In the unfortunate circumstances you don't pass, we would analyse the results of your test and advise on our next available date for another test plus any additional training that may be needed to reach the test standard required.

Yes you can providing you currently hold provisional entitlement for B+E on your licence. You will need to use your vehicle for the training and B+E test (providing it meets requirments) as our training vehicles are not equipped with adaptions. You will still be required to do the practical reversing exercise and road drive.

Using your own vehicle can make the courses more affordable for you.  A lot of clients also feel more comfortable in their own vehicle rather than the extra stress of driving an unfamiliar one.  Business clients often prefer their employees trained in their own company vehicles too.  If required, a fully comprehensively insured (specifically for trailer tuition and tests) company training vehicle can be supplied upon request (subject to availability) at an additional cost.  If you do use your own vehicle, it must meet the requirements for training and test.  This includes appropriate insurance cover for towing a trailer under tuition and taking the DVSA test where applicable.

The B+E licence category covers towing any type of large trailer, including caravans.  Some people refer to it as a caravan test or horse trailer test but the B+E driving test covers all trailer types.